Saturday, December 15, 2012

Hope for Holiday Depression


One of the songs you often hear during this season says that this is the “most wonderful time of the year.” For many people it is. Lights and parties and decorated trees and presents make this for them a festive and joyous time. But like a pack of wolves stalking prey on a cold winter night, just on the edge of all that seasonal happiness, for some of us there lurks a frightful foe, an enemy of our soul – depression. 

Polly Toynbee wrote that “One in six people suffer depression or a chronic anxiety disorder… severe mental pain with conditions crippling enough to prevent them living normal lives.” During the holidays that number increases. For those of us afflicted with depression this time of year is often anything but wonderful. I write “those of us” because I too am a sufferer. 

Ed Welch of the Christian Counseling and Education Foundation called depression a stubborn darkness. Winston Churchill, another sufferer, called it his black dog. We depressed people can feel sad, anxious, worthless, and guilty. When I’m depressed what I most often feel is hopeless. And, when one has no hope it’s very hard to even think of, much less plan for, a future. Psychologist Rollo May said that depressed people are incapable of conceiving of a future. 

If you think that you might be depressed but are not sure check out the symptoms of depression at this website: http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/depression-symptoms-and-types 

So what can a depressed person do when the “black dog” is upon him? Can a hopeless person find hope? I certainly don’t have all the answers, but I have found hope from another fellow sufferer – David. 

In Psalm 6 David wrote about his own experience with depression. He wrote that he was languishing (verse 2) and greatly troubled (verse 3). He said that he was weary from moaning and that he had wept so much he soaked his bed (verse 6). Yes, David knew what it was to be depressed. 

David did find hope however. He found it by calling out to God, reaching out to and trusting in him. By the end of Psalm 6 David is trusting that God has heard his plea and accepted his prayers. Help is on the way. He knew that God is close to the brokenhearted and saves those whose spirit has been crushed (Psalm 34:18). That’s what I have to be true as well. 

I’ve tried many things when I’ve been depressed. I’ve been to numerous counselors, I’ve tried various therapies, I’ve used medications. All have helped some. But nothing has helped more than calling out to God. He is the lover of my soul. He rescues me not only from my sin but also from my enemy depression. He can and he does lift my spirit like no one and nothing else can.

When things seem bleak and dark to me at this time of year it is a great help to remember that he is not only the reason for this season but he is the one who is near by and will get us through.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment