Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Year of Living Joyfully

     As I've previously shared on this blog, I suffer from sadness. For as long as I can remember a deep and profound sadness has doggedly followed me. I've never known if it was because I was simply born with a melancholy personality or if what I have is actual clinical depression. I've tried all kinds of things over the years to treat my sadness from changing my diet to increasing how much exercise I get to various therapies with different counselors to medications. Though many of these things have helped some, the sadness always returns.

     This year for Christmas my older daughter and her family gave me a gift that just might make 2013 a different experience for me. She gave me "A Year of Living Joyfully."
  
     Joy is an antidote for sadness. Joseph Campbell said that joy will burn out pain and that includes the pain of depression. Of course I've known that for sometime. But how does one remain joyful when all you feel is sad? I've never known. Charles Kuralt said that joy in our lives is often hard to find and look hard for it. I've never known where to look. My daughter has given me a very practical way to not only look for Joy but to find it.

     How did she do it? She took a 2013 calendar and went throughout the year scheduling Bible verses to read and little projects to do that will point me toward Joy. She also encouraged me to take time each day to find something that gives me Joy and record it in the calendar like a journal. I think these are great ideas. In fact, I think that these ideas are so great I've decided to write about them here on this blog. I hope that you will you join me here and follow along for A Year of Living Joyfully?

     Even though the project doesn't officially begin until January 1, I can't help myself from jumping the gun and starting early. So what's one thing that gives me Joy today?

     Having a daughter that loves me enough to give me A Year of Living Joyfully.

Please share Heart Matters with your family and friends and please like the Heart Matters page on facebook. Thank you.


3 comments:

  1. Your daughter's gift is priceless!!! Love it! How loving and thoughtful of her. Think i will try something like this myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot help but think that a man who has such a gift of teaching as you do is going through a battle that is beyond the natural. We know that the joy of the Lord is our strength and in our weakness his strength gets us through the valleys.
    I am not surprised that Satan has decided to attack you, unfortunately he keeps forgetting the end of the book- WE WIN!
    Your test will soon turn into a testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry,

    What a blessing to have a daughter that loves you so much that she would take the time and effort to put that together for you. My son, as you know, suffers from terrible depression. I've suffered from one very serious bout and I hurt for those that endure this sometimes crippling illness. I felt like I was so deep inside a black hole that I wasn't sure I would see light again so I am able to sympathize. I know that Satan is busy at work and works extra hard on those that are making an impact for the cause of Christ and brother you do and you have! Keep writing, keep praying and we will be praying for you.

    Deb Reed

    ReplyDelete